large_client_header_buffers directive is accepted in server, but ignored.

Brane F. Gračnar brane.gracnar at planet9.si
Wed Aug 18 14:18:49 MSD 2010

Hello there!

We noticed quite lots of "414 Request URI to large" messages in nginx error
logs for one of configured virtualhosts and decided to bump
large_client_headers_buffers directive in server (virtualhost) context.

According to wiki documentation at
http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpCoreModule#large_client_header_buffers,
directive should be accepted and evaluated in http AND server context.

Directive is accepted, but completely ignored and 414 issue remains. However,
problem is fixed if i move large_client_headers_buffers directive outside
server context to http context.

We're using nginx 0.8.37. Considering changelog issue should be also present
in 0.8.49, becouse there are only two mentions of large_client_headers_buffers
directive.

Where is bug: in implementation or documentation? Either way, it should be
fixed :)

Best regards, Brane