Providing access to nginx state machine

Piotr Sikora piotr.sikora at frickle.com
Tue May 11 20:08:20 MSD 2010

Hello Marko,

 > I want to speak to another network service from nginx handler without
 > blocking it.
 > (...)
 > Or maybe there is some other way do what I want?

Do what? You didn't really explain what you want to achieve, only how
would you achieve it in lighttpd.

I've got a feeling that simple subrequest might be the thing you're
looking for, so ngx_echo [1] might be worth studying here. Other than
that you could also check "independent request" that is implemented in
ngx_supervisord [2] (start reading from line 1117).

ngx_drizzle [3] and ngx_postgres [4] are good examples, but probably not
in this case. I'm pretty sure you won't be using 3rd-party libraries and
hacking around to "cheat" nginx's upstream module ;)

[1] http://github.com/agentzh/echo-nginx-module
[2] http://labs.frickle.com/nginx_ngx_supervisord/
[3] http://github.com/chaoslawful/drizzle-nginx-module
[4] http://labs.frickle.com/nginx_ngx_postgres/