Patch: avoid multiple vary header entries

Daniel Bornkessel daniel at bornkessel.com
Mon Apr 11 16:54:21 MSD 2011

Hi,
while using nginx & varnish together we had problems when setting a 'Vary' header in our app when nginx is configured with

gzip_vary  on;

as nginx's created response contain two 'Vary' header entries:

Vary: Accept-Encoding
Vary: X-Special

however, several clients, including Varnish, don't understand this. Instead they need one header entry:

Vary: Accept-Encoding, X-Special

this is a patch that achieves this behavior. Is there any chance getting this patch into upstream?

Thanks