autoindex does not escape URIs properly

Damian Zaremba damian at
Thu Jan 27 05:29:45 MSK 2011

When auto index is enabled on a directory that contains files with
"special" characters IE "test file.txt" or "funny_file?" it does not
escape them resulting in in-correctly formed and sometimes completely
broken links. The expect result being that "test file.txt" is
transformed into "test%20file.txt" and "funny_file?" transformed into

I don't really have a suggestion for fixing it as the code in
core/ngx_string.c confuses the heck out of me as I'm only a beginner in
C but I'm sure someone experienced could figure it out quite easily!

Issue appears to exist in 0.8.54 and nginx-0.9.4.