Fw: Use Test::Nginx with etcproxy and/or valgrind (Was Re: Test::Nginx::LWP vs. Test::Nginx::Socket)

agentzh agentzh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 06:42:34 MSK 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Antoine Bonavita (personal)
<antoine.bonavita at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your time and openness.
> I started thinking a little about all this and here are 3 suggestions
> which I'm willing to work on if you think they are worth it:
>
> 1 - Regarding the ability to chain multiple requests in requests, the
> only way I can think of is to make request and
> error_code/response_body/response_body_like/etc. potential arrays and
> adapt the code to handle arrays/strings. There is probably a lot of
> impact on the code but I cannot think of any other way.

I'm fine with this :)

> 2 - Regarding the restart of nginx, I had two ideas:
> 2.1 - Add a section (--- NO_RESTART). This is probably a very simple
> solution but it relies on the order tests are run, so I think it can
> be quite error-prone (especially if you shuffle tests and have
> different configs).
> 2.2 - Restart only when the config changes between two tests. This
> behavior can even be controlled by something like
> TEST_NGINX_FORCE_RESTART_ON_TEST which would happen to default to true
> (to preserve current behavior).

Option 2.2 is more attractive to me :)

> 3 - Regarding the documentation, I was thinking of improving the doc
> of Socket.pm by putting a small example next to each item (at least
> the ones I know, I could not figure out the syntax of skip_nginx and
> skip_nginx2). And maybe completely removing request_eval.

There's an example from ngx_drizzle's test suite for skip_nginx:

    --- skip_nginx: 3: < 0.8.41

That is, skipping 3 subtests, if and only if the current nginx version
number is strictly less than 0.8.41.

I'm not sure about the skip_nginx2 section for it was introduced by
Piotr Sikora. Maybe Piotr is willing to comment on that? Piotr?

> Let me know what you think.

I really appreciate your interest, time and contribution :)

Thanks!
-agentzh