Bug in request.headers_out initialization?

Igor Sysoev igor at sysoev.ru
Wed Nov 23 18:50:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:58:41PM +0530, Fasih wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Igor Sysoev <igor at sysoev.ru> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:32:27PM +0530, Fasihullah Askiri wrote:
> > > Sorry, I am not sure I understood you correctly. It is used in headers_in
> > > for look up into headers_in_hash OK. But what about headers_out?
> >
> > "lowcase_key" in headers_out may be not set if these headers are not
> > proxied/fastcgied/etc.
> >
> > > ngx_http_proxy_process_header parses the upstream response headers
> > > using ngx_http_parse_header_line, thereby setting hash/lowcase_key. This
> > > function sets headers_out which I use. The question I have is, is it safe
> > > to use the headers_out.....lowcase_key, should I check for
> > > headers_out.headers.part.elt[it].hash before I can use lowcase_key or
> > > should I check for something else?
> >
> > "hash" does not mean that "lowcase_key" is set.
> > If nginx needs to find headers using hash, it sets "lowcase_key" and
> > calculates "hash".
> >
> So, if header "xyz-header" is not expected to be found in a hash,  nginx
> would not calculate the lowcase_key, but will it also set
> headers_out.header.elt.hash to some value to signal that it has not
> calculated the lowcase_key?

No, "hash" is not a flag for "lowcase_key".

"hash" is used as a hash value of "lowcase_key" for lookup in header hashes.
And "hash" is used as flag only for header output filter.

> > Besides nginx uses "hash" only in header output filter.
> >
> Understood, but the problem is because I am trying to reuse that variable
> probably for something that it was intended to be used, just wanted to find
> out how to use it if at all I can use it.

nginx does not calculate "hash" and does not provide "lowcase_key" for
headers_out, since it does not use it.

--
Igor Sysoev