Does proxy cache support If-Modified-Since to upstream servers?

Brad Hilton brad at
Tue Mar 13 21:59:00 UTC 2012

I am planning to use nginx to cache large files dispersed across several
different regions. I have noticed that when a cached file expires, nginx
always retrieves a fresh copy of the upstream file, regardless of whether
it has changed.

I found a thread from September where someone was working on a patch to
address this:

But it looks like the thread died out without any code being accepted.

Does anyone know if there has been progress on this feature? What I'm
trying to accomplish is:

1) Early detection of upstream file changes to force a cache refresh
2) Avoid fetching duplicate copies of upstream files due to bandwidth

It seems that as-is, the nginx proxy cache feature may not allow me to do

Thanks for any tips,