Does proxy cache support If-Modified-Since to upstream servers?

Brad Hilton brad at thehiltons.org
Tue Mar 13 21:59:00 UTC 2012

Hello!

I am planning to use nginx to cache large files dispersed across several
different regions. I have noticed that when a cached file expires, nginx
always retrieves a fresh copy of the upstream file, regardless of whether
it has changed.

I found a thread from September where someone was working on a patch to
address this:

http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-devel/2011-September/001187.html

But it looks like the thread died out without any code being accepted.

Does anyone know if there has been progress on this feature? What I'm
trying to accomplish is:

1) Early detection of upstream file changes to force a cache refresh
2) Avoid fetching duplicate copies of upstream files due to bandwidth
contraints

It seems that as-is, the nginx proxy cache feature may not allow me to do
this.

Thanks for any tips,
Brad