Handling a subrequest response - determining upstream vs. static file and size

Brian Moran bmoran at onehub.com
Tue Mar 20 04:34:56 UTC 2012

Sorry about that, inadvertently hit send...

I am modifying an existing working filter module. I am issuing a
subrequest, which is to a URI, or to a static local file (via a location in
the config); I'd like to determine the size of the response that I'm
getting back from the subrequest.

In the subrequest's header filter, I'm doing this to find out the response
size:
if (r->upstream) {
   response_size = r->upstream->headers_in.content_length_n;

For the subrequests that result in the static file being streamed from
disk, r->upstream is NULL.
What's the right nginx way to determine in my filter what the size of the
'body' part of the subrequest response is going to be?

Thanks!

e: bmoran at onehub.com
p: +1 206 390 4376

Onehub, Inc.