Support of IMAP ID command in mail proxy module?

Michael Kliewe info at phpgangsta.de
Tue Dec 31 16:38:09 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm using the mail module of nginx to proxy and loadbalance IMAP+POP3
connections to backend servers. I do authentication via http authentication.

Some Clients are sending IMAP ID commands to the server with information
about their software and version. I would like to log that and maybe use
that during authentication. It would be great if nginx would support
that command, and if it has been sent before LOGIN, also provide the
information to the http authentication script.
IMAP ID can be found in RFC 2971: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2971.html

The information about the client could be used to route the user to a
specific backend server that has some client-specific IMAP bug fixes in
place, or could be used to restrict logins of a specific user to only
one specific client if the user wants that for slightly higher security,
or for a list of "last activity of the user" like GMail does, or just
for client statistics.

I'm not a C programmer, so sadly I cannot write a patch myself for this,
but maybe someone is able to add this small feature?

Thanks
Michael