nginx is not compatible with gcov of gcc 4.1.2

chen cw crk_world at
Sat Jan 5 09:55:20 UTC 2013

    I happened to see all the nginx workers crushed when they were exiting.
When I looked into this, I found they would crush every time they were
exiting, on the function gcov_exit().
    Now I confirm it is connected with these options
"--with-cc-opt='-fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage' --with-ld-opt=-lgcov", they
are used for code coverage testing. gcov is a part of gcc, the version of
gcc I use is 4.1.2.
    Moreover, I found that in most cases, nginx workers will crush, except
for they work on very simple configuration, eg., only 7 empty locations in
only one server in the configuration file.
    We confirmed from 1.0.15 to 1.2.6, nginx of all versions have this

Charles Chen

Software Engineer

Server Platforms Team at