100-continue and 401

Luka Perkov nginx at lukaperkov.net
Wed Mar 20 08:44:18 UTC 2013

Hi Vladimir,

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 07:36:07PM +0400, Vladimir Shebordaev wrote:
> Both requests do look basically correct just like the nginx's and
> curl's behavior. You didn't supply any credentials for
> authentication to continue.

I know I didn't. That is the example test, if my SCGI daemon gets
request without username and password it will reply to nginx with this:

WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="bla-bla-bla"

Then nginx will pass that to the client. The problem is that nginx sends
"100 Continue" first. I think that my SCGI code is correct, I'm not sure
if nginx should send "100 Continue" before "401 Unauthorized".

My guess is that the same will happen using CGI, FastCGI, uWSGI or when
using any upstream server. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Luka