Nginx eats 100% cpu in ngx_event_pipe_write_to_downstream

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon May 13 07:01:19 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:09:26AM -0300, Breno Silva wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yes removing he ngx_free_chain fix the cpu issue. Looks like ther modules
> needs the chain.
> I detected another issue.. sometimes when loading big response bodies (like
> images.. +32K) it does not load it entirely or does it slowly.
>
> Do you have any idea ?
> Thanks

It looks like you don't release buffers you got in your filter,
and this results buffers exhaustion (output_buffers,
proxy_buffers) and transfer stall.

If your code can't work with a data stream and needs full response
before it can start it's work, you have to copy needed data from
buffers and release buffers got (by setting b->pos = b->last, like
if a buffer was actually sent).

To test things you may try the following in config:

    output_buffers 1 1k;

Then request a static file larger than 1k.