Disallowing multiple http {} blocks in nginx.conf?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Oct 10 22:30:14 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 02:39:45PM -0700, Yichun Zhang (agentzh) wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Maxim Dounin wrote:
> >
> > I don't thinks that it's a good idea to disallow configurations
> > with multiple http{} blocks.  While this wasn't claimed to be
> > supported, it allows fun things like running multiple
> > configuration isolated, and e.g. makes merging configs from
> > multiple servers much easier.
> >

> Is this going to get officially supported?

May be.  At least it's not something should be officially
disallowed, I think.

[...]

> > AFAIR, as of now only one of standard modules has problems with
> > this - embeeded perl, and it has appropriate "caveat emptor"
> > clause in it's documentation.
> >

> Are you suggesting 3rd-party modules should always put a similar
> caveat in their documentation too? That's kinda sad and can lead to
> more confusions in the future because not every user reads the whole
> documentation carefully enough. I hope we can have a better solution
> here.

No, I just said that all non-experimental official modules can
cope with multiple http{} blocks, and this is another reason to
not disallow multiple http{} blocks, but find a better solution
instead.

http://nginx.org/en/donation.html