use of C reserved identifiers

Vladimir Shebordaev vshebordaev at mail.ru
Tue Oct 22 23:36:19 UTC 2013

OMG, dо you mean ISO or ANSI are to certify nginx source code for
the C language standards compliance?

I guess, it is the clause 7.1.3 of the recent ANSI/ISO C language
standard that makes you so worry. The clause states that using
the identifiers reserved for the C standard library usage results
in undefined behavior.

Well, the behavior that is said to be undefined by the C language
standard, must be pretty well defined by a particular compiler
and a C standard library implementation. That is, when you are
building nginx for a particular operating system, the behavior is
rather implementation-defined, since you are bound to certain
compiler and the C standard library implementation. In this case,
when you redefine a macro that is already defined, e.g. by the
system header file, the most probably, you will be strictly
warned against doing so, or you even end up with a broken build.

I mean, there is basically no harm in the undefined behavior.
Unless you know what you are doing.

As far as I can see, neither Igor nor other nginx developers do
pretend to duplicate any C standard library functionality.
Instead, they provide the API to the server core for module
developers. The API header files should be considered as a part
of the module's translation environment, while the server core is
to be a significant part of its execution environment, pretty
much like the C standard library for the server core itself.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Vladimir