[Patch] SO_REUSEPORT support from master process

Lu, Yingqi yingqi.lu at intel.com
Wed Aug 27 16:23:34 UTC 2014

Hi Sephe,

Thanks for your email.

The main difference between your patch and this prototype is that we create certain number of duplicated listen sockets in the master process instead of child processes. All the child processes have access to the same set of the duplicated listen sockets. In this case, all the child processes are the same, there is no special child needed. I think this addresses the Nginx folks concern.

Also, the number of the duplicated listen sockets is calculated as 1/8 of the number of active CPU threads (when the system has only 8 or less active threads, there is no duplication). It has nothing to do with the number of the child process. We use this way to extend the system CPU scalability (when needed) as well as make sure there will not be a lot of listen sockets open in the kernel.

Our prototype also testes the availability of the SO_REUSEPORT feature. When the feature is not available, it will fall back to the default behavior. I test this on Linux Kernel 3.8.8 where the feature is not available.

Thanks,
Yingqi