best approach for content phase handler to run again with event timer & ngx_done?

bsfranks at gmail.com bsfranks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 18:05:14 UTC 2014

Maxim - thank you for your helpful response.  I will review the memcached
module.

In the meantime, I had tried a few things and ended up with the following
approach (as a rough example):

static ngx_int_t content_phase_handler(ngx_http_request_t *r) {
    /* some function that returns AGAIN or OK to either wait or proceed */
    rc = function();
    if (rc == NGX_AGAIN) {
        r->main->count++;
        ctx->ev.handler = event_handler;
        ctx->ev.data = r;
        ctx->ev.log = r->connection->log;
        ngx_add_timer(&ctx->ev, 100);
        return NGX_DONE;
    }

    ...normal work of content phase handler...
}

static void event_handler(ngx_event_t *ev) {
    ngx_http_request *r;
    r = ev->data;
    r->write_event_handler = ngx_http_core_run_phases;
    ngx_http_core_run_phases(r);
    return;
}

I had noticed from the DEBUG log output sequence that
nginx_finalize_request() was getting called after NGX_DONE was returned
from the content phase handler.  From the source, nginx_finalize_request()
called nginx_http_finalize_connection() if (r->main->count != 1), which
then called nginx_http_close_request() which decremented the count and
returned without freeing the req or closing the connection.

So, it seems like some of what you've recommended (incrementing req count,
and having finalize_request called) is then being done.

This seemed to work correctly and each time the event handler triggered,
the content phase handler was called again.  However, is calling
core_run_phases() a poor/dangerous approach or not recommended?

Also, is there a recommended lower bound for the millisecond timer?  For
example, don't make it smaller than X ms, otherwise the event cycle gets
run too frequently?

Thanks,

Ben