proxy_pass behavior

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 17:56:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 08:18:48PM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:

>> > I will have to do some more tests, but so far 1.5.12 (debian wheezy)
>> > does not appear to try the next one if the next one is a different
>> > protocol family.
>>
>> So here is what happens:
>>
>> Nginx 1.5.12 on Debian Wheezy 7.4
>>
>> ~$ host www.acadiau.ca
>> www.acadiau.ca has address 131.162.201.18
>> www.acadiau.ca has IPv6 address 2620:21:c000:c8:0:aca:d1a:18
>>
>> ~$ grep proxy_pass /etc/nginx/sites-available/proxy
>> proxy_pass https://www.acadiau.ca;
>>
>> When an IPv6 client connects to the proxy, proxy_pass logs the error as
>>
>> 2014/03/27 21:28:28 [alert] 24862#0: *158336 connect() failed (13:
>> Permission denied) while connecting to upstream, client:
>> 2604:180::82c6:fe9, server: proxy-service.tld, request: "GET /
>> HTTP/1.1", upstream: "https://[2620:21:c000:c8:0:aca:d1a:18]:443/",
>> host: "proxy-service.tld"
>>
>> It will next try the ipv4 addr and succeed, however the reason for the
>
> So the original claim that it "does not appear to try the next
> one" is withdrawn, right?

99% of it is, I did see it fail once.

>> "Permission denied" error appears to be the format of the URL (raw
>> ipv6 addr, not hostname).  Why is it using the ipv6 addr instead of
>> the hostname?
>
> No, it's an error from connect() syscall, returned by your OS for
> some reason (likely because there is no route available, or due to
> a firewall rule).  The address is one of the upstream server nginx
> uses at the moment - it's is vital for logging if there are more
> than one address.

I agree it's vital for logging so that you can see which address
failed.  It's just not clear that the destination server was presented
with the hostname (SNI) because the "Permission denied" message seems
to idicate connect() was successful but the resource was denied (due
to permissions).   But I can live with bad OS level error messages as
long as the behavior is accurate.

Thank you Maxim,

-Jim P.