Buffers Chain

Paulo Silva pauloasilva at gmail.com
Fri May 23 09:23:38 UTC 2014

@Maxim: nice hints, thanks.

Let me ask you about filters order. To get the contents that will be
sent to client, I want to run my body_filter right before the gziping.
How to accomplish that or if it is even possible

I am worried that copying the buffers content the original ones can be
yet modified by other filters and than I will log an outdated copy.

Thanks for your help.

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 03:21:56PM +0100, Paulo Silva wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Let me introduce the Elephant in the room. My name is Paulo and I'm
>> from Portugal.
>> I am starting developing nginx modules and I'm having a great time
>> with buffers chain :D
>>
>> I'm using nginx as a reverse proxy and my goal is to log the full
>> response body (HTML) on the server.
>>
>> I did start with a filter module with a body_filter and my approach is
>> as follow:
>>
>> 1. Inspect given ngx_chain_t *in linked list to understand if nginx
>> has the full response (last_buf)
>> 2. On each body_filter call I'm updating a linked list which glues
>> given ngx_chain_t *in to the previous ones.
>> 3. As soon as I detect the last_buf, I iterate my internal linked list
>> (and each linked ngx_chain_t lists), dumping buffers content.
>>
>> Although I'm reaching the last_buf, I'm missing some bytes.
>
> In no particular order:
>
> - Make sure you are allocating your own ngx_chain_t structures.
>   Trying to modify ngx_chain_t structures got in *in chain is a
>   common mistake.
>
> - If you are passing buffers to next filters, it's incorrect to
>   assume that buffer contents will be available later (a buffer
>   contents will be eventually sent to a client, and then the
>   buffer can be reused by its owner).
>
> - If you are not passing buffers to next filters, it's incorrect
>   to assume that you'll get full response (e.g., with
>   "output_buffers 1 64", you'll get only first 64 bytes of a
>   response).
>
> - If you didn't set r->filter_need_in_memory, it's incorrect to
>   assume that buffers will be in memory.
>
> To log a response body, you'll have to copy contents of all
> buffers sent though your filter.  Just saving links to buffers is
> certainly not enough.
>
> --
> Maxim Dounin
> http://nginx.org/