On ETag removal by the gzip module.

Manuel Vázquez manuel at merchise.org
Mon Oct 6 14:34:04 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm not a nginx developer; just an user.

Recently I deployed OpenERP and use nginx as a front end, mainly to:

1. Deal with slow clients
2. Add gziping support to our app.

Some context:

Many of the application users access it using a modem connection (up to
56kbps).  So both caching and gzipping are key to performance.

OpenERP builds a single CSS and a single JS from installed modules'
sources.  And creates a strong Etag for both responses, and uses a
"Cache-Control: must-revalidate, max-age=0"

But then nginx removes the Etag and caching is hindered.

I've read the following thread (from several months ago):
http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-devel/2013-November/004498.html

There are several things I don't fully understand:

Compression is a means to improve performance, not to change semantics
of the content.  I don't see why compression would affect the entity's
content/semantic.  Both browsers and caches should store the content as
if compression would not have been applied, or apply a disk-saving
compression themselves, but that would be out of HTTP reach.  Am I
right?  Or more precisely where am I wrong?

Though I have read the RFC, I hardly consider myself an expert on it...

In order to avoid the Etag removal I'm using just compressing the AJAX
file won't be compressed and clients may have to wait longer than needed.

After reading the thread above I changed the Etag to be a weak one, but
it still gets removed.  Do I need to do anything else?

Why does gzipping interferes with etaging?

Best regards,
Manuel.