nginx report a timestamp on upstream_response_time

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Feb 11 15:26:59 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 03:20:59PM +0000, Dani Bento wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was looking in ngx_http_upstream_response_time_variable.
>
> I understand that if the state[i].status is not 0, the
> state[i].response_sec is used.
>
> It is assumed that if a state doesn't have a peer it prints a ":" before the next state (like the upstream_status_variable)
>
> Our problem is that in the log we have:
>
> [200 : 302] (for the status codes)
>
> [0.02 : 1423667767.600] (for the upstream_response_time)

So the question remains: how this happens.

(Note though, that this can easily happen if you'll try to use the
$upstream_response_time variable before the request is finalized,
e.g., in add_header or in 3rd party modules.  But it shouldn't
happen during logging, as the request is expected to be finalized
at this time.)