Fwd: Windows shmem fix: makes shared memory fully ASLR and DEP compliant (ea. cache zone, limit zone, etc.)

Sergey Brester serg.brester at sebres.de
Tue Jun 9 13:43:09 UTC 2015

09.06.2015 14:44, Maxim Dounin:

> I don't see how CreateProcess() bInheritHandles affects handles
> created by worker processes. It is documented to only control
> whether inheritable handles will be inherited by a new process or
> not. Either way, worker processes are not expected to start other
> processes, so you probably shouldn't care at all.

The problem is, some handles are frequently default inheritable in
windows. And if any process in combination parent/children was exited
(ex. creashed) without closing this handle - it would be not closed, as
long as last process of this "group" is still alive (can potentially
inherit this leak handle).

Very bad thing is this "bInheritHandles", have very bad experience with
it.