Breaking content generation phase into multiple phases or adding custom events in content phase

Jeff Kaufman jefftk at google.com
Fri Jun 19 12:35:27 UTC 2015

The two other things that ngx_pagespeed needs to use OS threads for:

* image optimization: blocking the nginx event loop to recompress
large images gives you very visible stalls

* background optimization: we want to return whatever we have to the
user, and then go on optimizing resources this request referenced in
the background

But yes, this (and parsing all the html as it flows through) does keep
you from hitting C10K.  I'm currently playing with some designs for a
lighter version of PageSpeed that drops optimizations that can't be
implemented efficiently or 100% safely, and I think it should be able
to support nearly as many clients as standard nginx.  It would still
use a background thread for image optimization, though.