Unit testing approach for nginx modules

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Nov 23 00:42:19 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 09:40:57PM +0000, Ritesh Jha wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> We are developing nginx modules to implement few usecases in our
> product. Most of the other usecases cases have been implemented
> using Java. At my office we follow TDD for Java development. TDD
> for Java development is easy due to availability of unit-testing
> and mocking frameworks. We are wondering if we can follow TDD
> for development of nginx modules as well. We have tried couple
> of unit-testing frameworks for C (Unity and CMocka) but we have
> found it very difficult to write useful testcases using these
> frameworks.
>
> Can you please suggest a suitable approach? Also if unit testing
> is not the way to go, then what should be the approach for
> developing, testing and maintaining large nginx modules?

We have a test suite we use in nginx development, available here:

http://hg.nginx.org/nginx-tests

It was originally written by me for testing both nginx itself and
my modules for nginx.  And example use in a module can be seen
here:

http://mdounin.ru/hg/ngx_http_bytes_filter_module/file/57365655ee44/t