nginx dso coredump

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Aug 30 11:22:24 UTC 2016

Hello!

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 06:33:36PM +0800, 洪志道 wrote:

[...]

> I found a coredump file generated on production.

[...]

> nginx.conf
>
> load_module  modules/....;
> load_module  modules/ngx_http_abc_module_3.so;  # This module is in the
> last postion, the other modules seems right.
>
> And there is tiny detail. I generate so file named
> 'ngx_http_abc_module.so', then I copy as ngx_http_abc_module_3.so

Note that when writing module *.so files care should be taken to
not modify contents of files currently loaded.  E.g., "make
install" in nginx will first move an old file (if any) to
*.so.old, and then copy the new file.

If you happened to modify an *.so file currently loaded,
segmentation fault is expected.  Just using "cp" without moving an
old file first is known to cause segmentation faults as it
modifies contents of existing *.so files.