Should nginx' default shipped fastcgi_param file updated to mitigate httpoxy?

Thomas Deutschmann whissi at whissi.de
Tue Jul 19 13:48:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am proxy maintaining the nginx package on Gentoo.

Regarding the recent "httpoxy" problem (you already published a blog
posting [1] with instructions how to mitigate the problem) we are
unsure if we should update our package to ship your mitigation per
default, i.e. altering your "fastcgi_param" file and add

> fastcgi_param  HTTP_PROXY         "";

This would protect default configurations. However some setups might
require a proxy which could break when fastcgi_param file will be
sourced after user's configuration.

- From my point of view this is a user education problem: If they know
what they are doing they won't have to do anything: They should be
fine already or at least will set their required values *after*
sourcing the default fastcgi_param file.

For Gentoo we would use our elog and/or news system to tell the user
about the changes.

However we want to know if you, upstream, are going to change the
default shipped fastcgi_param file (don't forget the .conf file) with
the next upcoming release to include a "safer" default configuration
as well or if there are reasons not to ship such a default and maybe
you recommend us also to do nothing.

Thanks.

[1]
https://www.nginx.com/blog/mitigating-the-httpoxy-vulnerability-with-ngi