Why not remove UNIX domain socket before bind

Datong Sun datong at cloudflare.com
Wed Nov 30 07:11:32 UTC 2016

Hello Shuxin,

I have seen the same issue before. As far as I can tell this is simply a
bug instead of by design (correct me if I'm wrong). I can also confirm that
nginx will leave behind the listening socket file when terminated with
SIGQUIT. There has been a bug report opened more than a year ago (
https://trac.nginx.org/nginx/ticket/753) but still not being fixed.

Thanks,
Datong

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Shuxin Yang <shuxinyang.oss at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, There:
>
>     Is there any reason not to delete UNIX domain socket before bind? It
> is bit inconvenient when :
>
> 1). debugging: previous debugging session quit prematurely without erasing
> the UNIX domain socket, and the subsequent debugging session only see
> "address already in use" error message, and have to delete the socket, and
> launch debugger again.
>
> 2). Writing deploy script. We need to make sure UNIX domain sockets are
> completely delete before launching Nginx; also care must be taken to keep
> the script and config file in sync, which is sometimes bit annoying.
>

> Thanks
>
> Shuxin

*Datong Sun*  |  Systems Engineer
datong at cloudflare.com