[nginx] Upstream keepalive: keepalive_requests directive.

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Aug 12 13:00:48 UTC 2018

Hello!

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 09:32:44AM -0700, Frank Liu wrote:

> I agree with Robert.
>
> When adding those new directives, the "default" should match the old
> behavior so people who are not aware of the new directives will NOT get any
> unexpected results while upgrading to this release. People who has a need
> to change the old behavior now will have the new directives in hand.
>
> Can you make keepalive_timeout and keepalive_requests both default to
> indefinite?

Short answer:

No.

Long anser:

The defaults are choosen to mitigate known problems as observed in
the wild.  While this can somehow affect existing users, presering
the old behaviour will affect them as well, and will also affect
new users.

We try hard to make upgrades as easy as possible, but in this
particular case changing the default behaviour will benefit most
of the users.  In contrast, trying to match the old behaviour
implies that users will continue to face the problems these
settings are expected to prevent.

As such, the defaults are choosen to be reasonable in most cases
and to cause minimal amount of problems in the real life usage.