SO_REUSEPORT

Mathew Heard mat999 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 00:04:50 UTC 2019

Hi All,

Hit a rather strange issue today on a production service where during a
configuration reload (evident by the worker processes in the process of
being shutdown). During this reload a percentage of connections were not
getting accepted (and hence not processed). I was able to confirm that none
of the processes were accepting the connections.

Our configuration includes the reuseport option so my theory was that for
some reason connections were still being routed to the shutting down
worker, which was not accepting new connections.

This has a striking resemblance to the HAProxy issues in previous years
with connections received during live configuration reloads.

Software Versions:
nginx version: nginx/1.15.8
linux kernel: 4.9.2

Does anyone have an idea of where to look for this issue? Or have you see
anything like it before?

I am aware the kernel is a bit on the older side, anyone seen any relevant
issues / patches?

Regards,
Mathew