PCRE2 support?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Jan 24 18:21:22 UTC 2019

Hello!

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 10:23:01AM -0500, Thomas Ward wrote:

> It's been several more months, but now I need to ask what distributions
> you are 'supporting' here, Maxim and nginx team.
>
> PCRE2 is in Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, and others.  That covers a
> large portion of the major distributions at play.

List of the Linux distributions most interesting for us can be
found here:

http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html

It looks like most have PCRE2 now.  Though obviously enough, there
are at least some where there are no PCRE2, including Ubuntu 14.04
which is expected to be supported till April 2019, Debian 8, which
is to be supported till 2020, and CentOS 6, which is to be
supported till 2020 as well.

> This has once again popped on my radar in Ubuntu as we are trying to
> move pcre3 out of Main, and rely on pcre2.  NGINX is one of the few
> packages that hasn't had any changes to it to make it PCRE2-supportable.

So this is going to be the first real reason to actually support
PCRE2.  Patches are welcome.

> I also agree that Exim should not be the basis of support.

Well, this depends on your point of view.  If a project which
actually developed the library fails to introduce support to the
new version of the library - for an external observer this
suggests that there is something wrong with the new version.

[...]