NJS - API Calls

Dmitry Volyntsev xeioex at nginx.com
Tue Jun 4 09:31:40 UTC 2019

> On 4 Jun 2019, at 12:11, naidile.pn <naidilepn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> Could you please help me in understanding the difference between js_content and js_preread with usecases.

js_content is a directive of http njs module (http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_js_module.html#js_content <http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_js_module.html#js_content>). It sets an njs function as a location content handler (The requests are processed in phases, see http://nginx.org/en/docs/dev/development_guide.html#http_phases <http://nginx.org/en/docs/dev/development_guide.html#http_phases>  NGX_HTTP_CONTENT_PHASE).

The function is invoked once per each request. In it you are responsible for generating complete http responses. The NGX_HTTP_CONTENT_PHASE is not finished until you have pending actions (active subrequests or timers).

The only way to make "external http calls” is to make a subrequest to a separate location with proxy_pass directive (here you can use variables to make subrequests to different endpoints).

js_preread is a directive of stream njs module, it works on tcp level (http://nginx.org/en/docs/stream/ngx_stream_js_module.html#js_preread <http://nginx.org/en/docs/stream/ngx_stream_js_module.html#js_preread>).  The function is invoked once per each tcp connection. To wait for more data asynchronously you have
s.on(‘upload’, function (data, flags) {…}) and s.done([code]) to move to the next phase.