Nginx TCP mode and TLS encryption

Roman Arutyunyan arut at nginx.com
Mon Nov 18 13:19:47 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 06:09:46PM +0000, kev jr wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have the following configuration :
> - 2 modems (M1 and M2)
> - 1 Nginx proxy (N1)
> - 2 remote servers (S1 and S2 accessible by internet)
>
> My both modems can communicate by TCP/IP but not able to works with TLS.
>
> I would like to perform the following configuration :
> M1 - > TCP communication-> N1->TCP encrypted by TLS - > S1.
>
> Which configuration I have to implement on Nginx in order to permit by modem to communicate with my remote server. And I want at least encrypt the communication between the Nginx proxy and the remote server (S1 and S2)

You need to use the proxy_ssl directive to encrypt the connection between nginx
and the proxied server.

http://nginx.org/en/docs/stream/ngx_stream_proxy_module.html#proxy_ssl

Here's a configuration snippet:

stream {
    server {
        listen 1234;
        proxy_pass remote_server.example.com:5678;
        proxy_ssl on;

> Thank you for help,
>
> Regards,

Roman Arutyunyan