nginx for Windows - WSASend() socket error 10057

Sergey Brester serg.brester at sebres.de
Wed Feb 12 18:51:27 UTC 2020

I answered inline...

12.02.2020 18:59, Yury Shpakov wrote:

> Hi Sergey,
>
> Thank you for you response.
>
> I tried netstat /nabo and I don't see any reference to port 9000 at all.
> So a problem is to make nginx to listen on port 9000 (as server)?
> Or nginx is not listening on port 9000 but rather sending requests to port 9000 (as client)?

With setting of `auth_http`, you are defining an URL to the service
responsible for authentication (and upstream choice).
Of course then you should have something that would response to the
auth-requests (your own upstream, or some nginx location, or some
"foreign" http-server).

See https://docs.nginx.com/nginx/admin-guide/mail-proxy/mail-proxy/ [11]
for more examples.

> Maybe it's easier not to use auth_http at all? I was trying to remove it from configuration file but nginx was not happy.

I have my own auth-module so I don't know how it can be solved in
stock-nginx without this directive.

Take a look here -
https://serverfault.com/questions/594962/nginx-understanding-the-purpose-of-auth-http-imap-proxy
[12] - you can use some nginx location (and internal URL to same nginx
instance) to specify that.

Anyway it is recommended to use some auth (on nginx side), because it'd
preserve the resources of mail-servers, allow you to authenticate email
clients with same user/password for all mail-servers (smtp, imap, pop3,
etc) as well as the same user/pwd as for some other http-services. And
it is used to choose an upstream server (if multiple) for the email
processing.

> At this point I don't need any authentication. I was told by my boss to use nginx for load testing of our service sending emails (SMTP client). I've got some SMTP Server and nginx would be used as SMTP proxy because it allows to set up delays.

Well, an auth request to some nginx-location would allow you to set up
delays even on authentication phase.

> And take into account that I REMOVED "--with-http_ssl_module" from parameters when I was building nginx.
>
> And you advised to download some nginx.exe files but I believe they were built without "--with-mail" parameter (which I need).

Although, it was compiled with "--with-mail" (you can see all parameters
in provided GH-link [9])
But it would not help, because basically your issue seems to be the
configuration (not the nginx.exe).

[2] http://nginx.org/en/docs/howto_build_on_win32.html
[3]
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/winsock/nf-winsock-sendto