PATCH Upstream: new "keepalive_max_connection_duration" directive

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Apr 7 23:07:31 UTC 2021

Hello!

On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 08:51:38PM +0300, Jussi Maki wrote:

> # HG changeset patch
> # User Jussi Maki <jusmaki at gmail.com>
> # Date 1617816597 -10800
> #      Wed Apr 07 20:29:57 2021 +0300
> # Node ID 3699288ff20a3e51ee4b7689898ce0241f64f0f5
> # Parent  e2e9e0fae74734b28974c64daacc492d751b4781
> Upstream: new "keepalive_max_connection_duration" directive
>
> Added a new keepalive_max_connection duration which provides
> the time in milliseconds for the upstream block on how long
> the connection should be kept connected. The current keepalive
> directives either define the idle time or the number of requests
> but there is no elapsed time-based parameter.
>
> The elapsed time-based connection parameter is useful in a case
> when there are multiple backends and the connection should be
> evenly load balanced to them and the response times for upstream
> requests vary.

Thanks for the patch.  I've just committed a patch series which
adds the "keepalive_time" directive[1] both for keepalive connections
with clients and with upstream servers, as a part of a mitigation
for browser issues identified in ticket #2155[2].  As far as I
can see, it is basically identical to what you are trying to
introduce for uptream servers, and should work for your use case
as well.

[1] https://hg.nginx.org/nginx/rev/fdc3d40979b0
[2] https://trac.nginx.org/nginx/ticket/2155