Sending a notification to the main nginx thread

Eran Kornblau eran.kornblau at kaltura.com
Tue Oct 5 14:04:14 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I’m planning a module in which I want to send a notification from a side thread to the main nginx thread.
I checked the implementation of the thread pool module, and saw that it uses ngx_notify for that.
But, checking how that function is implemented (checked epoll), I saw that it can’t really be used for any other purpose…
If I send my function to ngx_notify, it will overwrite the thread pool handler, and can lead to race conditions…

Googling for this problem, I saw this old patch –
https://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-devel/2016-August/008679.html
which didn’t get any replies…

Was wondering – is there some alternative solution for what I’m trying to do?
Will you consider applying this/some other patch to address this issue?

Thank you

Eran