cache: move open to thread pool

Roman Arutyunyan arut at nginx.com
Thu Sep 9 10:47:55 UTC 2021

Hi Noam,

On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 07:16:55PM +0300, Noam Cvikel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Didn't see a way to get into the thread after joining the list, but
> hopefully this still replies correctly.
>
> First of all thank you for the prompt response and updated patch.
> We implemented the updated async open patch, and started testing it in our
> lab.

Good news, thanks.

> The static module part of the patch isn't updated yet, so we didn't apply
> it.
> While we're almost not using the static module, we'd still gladly test it
> and share a feedback, once the patch is updated.

The latest patchset from me includes the static module part too, and it should
work with the latest nginx source.  We'd appreciate feedback from you on the
static part too, if that's something you can do.

> The patch itself is looking good. We've not encountered any errors or
> issues, and we see a significant performance improvement.
> We're working with spinning disks (HDD), and before applying the patch we
> would sometimes see the main thread get stuck on open IO anywhere between
> 2-15 seconds.
> After applying the patch, we see that an iteration of the worker's main
> loop doesn't take more than 10ms! Significantly reducing the penalty for
> other transactions.

Great.  Can you measure the overall performance improvement?

> We will keep monitoring the changes and report. We would really like to see
> this patch integrated into the official branch. If we can do anything else
> to help make this happen - please let us know.

Thanks for you feedback.  When you have more data or bugs to report, we'd
appreciate that too.

> Best,
>

> *Noam Cvikel*
> Qwilt | | noamc at qwilt.com