recursive_error_pages limited to a chain of 11?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Tue Sep 25 15:51:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:57:23AM -0400, o456092 at wrote:

> Hi Maxim,
>    Thanks for pointing  this out.
>    You mentioned using: proxy_next_upstream, rather than my current strategy
> - would you happen to know if this has any limitations?  Will this serve the
> same purpose as the current configuration that I have?  Would it perform,
> better, worse, or the same?

This depends on what you actually want to do with your
configuration.  Single upstream block with proxy_next_upstream
e.g. won't allow you to define strict order of servers to query,
but will use configured balancer (round-robin by default) instead.
It might be seen as a limitation in some cases (if you need strict
execution order), but an advantage in others (if order doesn't
matter but you actually need load distribution).

For a use case very very similar to yours

    proxy_next_upstream http_404;

was specifically implemented.  It allows to ask servers in an
upstream block for a resource, falling back to other server(s) if
the resource isn't found.

Maxim Dounin