Question about ETag header?

Aleksandar Lazic al-nginx at none.at
Sat Dec 16 01:10:33 MSK 2006

Hi,

On Sam 16.12.2006 00:41, Igor Sysoev wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
>
>>on the irc ( http://irclog.turbogears.org/archive/freenode/nginx )
>>have been asked if it is possible to send a ETag-Header when the
>>request is a static file.
>>
>>I have seen that you handle the ETag header in proxied request, how
>>difficult is it to add the calculation to the static files?!
>
>It's easy to add, however, I do not see how ETag is better than
>Last-Modified for static files.

A nice short description is here:

http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/#WORK

It looks to me that it makes some caches out there to cache the response
from the origin server more reliable as in rfc2616
(ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2616.txt) is written.

3.11 Entity Tags
13.3.2 Entity Tag Cache Validators
14.19 ETag

I'am not sure if it's good or bad also how helpfull it really is, maybe
someone on the list could help to understand this ;-)?!

Btw.: How is the entity value calculated?!

BR

Aleks