Feature Req: Include Pipe

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Tue Oct 3 01:32:45 MSD 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 14:07 -0400, Jonathan Dance wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I was wondering what people might think about adding pipe support to
> the include directive (yes, I'm a config file junkie). This might be a
> good alternative to using the internal nginx variables - people could
> simply use a language of their choice (via the shebang line) to
> execute a script which would output their desired configuration.
>
> From nginx's perspective, I see this as:
>
> include |/etc/nginx/conf.sh;
>
> The "|" would indicate that nginx should treat /etc/nginx/conf.sh as a
> pipe. It would then popen() on /etc/conf/conf.sh, read the output, and
> then parse the results.

I think I'd rather see database support, i.e. storing configuration
within PostgreSQL or MySQL.  This gives you the same abilities as your
"include pipe" concept (externally scriptable) but also makes it easier
to put management front-ends in place (web or GUI tools).

Of course, you could also do it your way and have your script read from
a database, but I think simply having database support is more direct.

Cliff