Log rotation

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Sep 20 02:24:21 MSD 2006

It looks like nginx can do log rotation by sending it USR1, but I
haven't seen any English mention of this outside of the source code.
Could someone show an example of how log rotation works with nginx? Is
there a recommended log rotation tool that can handle this style of
log rotation? I've been using piped log processes (mostly rotatelogs)
w/ Apache for years to handle this issue.

Currently most of my nginx usage is as a proxy, so I've just turned
access logs off.. but I would like to replace Apache in a few other
places, so I need to have rotated logs.

-bob