AccessFileName .htaccess

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Thu Sep 28 02:37:54 MSD 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 16:23 +0400, Igor Sysoev wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
>
> > what are you thinking about the .htaccess file conzept?!
> >
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#accessfilename
>
> I personally do not use .htaccess because
> 1) it slows down request processing
> 2) and configuration spreads in large tree: I prefer to see
>     configuration in compact form.
>
> In my opinion the only defensible .htaccess use is a mass virtual hosting.
>
> The support of .htaccess concept in nginx is too complex.

I tend to agree, and I do virtual hosting.  If I need specific
configurations for a virtual host, I typically run another instance of
Nginx for that virtual host and use the main Nginx instance to proxy to
it.

This is a large part of why I don't use Apache: it's too big to run many
instances of, whereas Nginx doesn't use so much memory.

Regards,
Cliff