embedded perl

Jonathan Vanasco jvanasco at 2xlp.com
Thu Apr 12 00:31:20 MSD 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 3:45 PM, David Phillips wrote:

> On 4/11/07, Jonathan Vanasco <nginx at 2xlp.com> wrote:
>> my setup will have me querying postgres for every url to find the
>> correct url on amazon's s3  which i proxy for.
>
> Have you considered using deterministic S3 object keys (for example,
> using a hash)?  This allows you to avoid the database entirely.  You
> could add hash support to the rewrite module.
>
> nginx's proxy module does not block.  If your S3 objects are not
> publicly readable then you could modify the proxy module to support S3
> request signing.

Thats a pretty good idea...
The issue that I would have with that setup though is that I'd only
be replacing the db call with an s3 call.

my options were:
	30+ s3 data stores of a single file, all publicly readable
	1 s3 data store of a single file , use a proxy to transparantly
serve that file to clients

because of their pricing and my usage patterns, i went with the
second option -- which requires  that the client can never know the
address of the object on s3.