Alias which works like in other web servers

marc at corky.net marc at corky.net
Fri Aug 3 19:57:07 MSD 2007

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I tried location ^~ /blog but that produced a similar result, php-fcgi
returned 'No input file specified' as it was not able to open the path
provided to it by nginx.

I also have the following block in order to force http authentication on
the /blog/wp-admin directory:

location /blog/wp-admin {
       alias   /var/www/wordpress/wp-admin;

       auth_basic "adm";
       auth_basic_user_file conf/nginx.user;

       rewrite ^.+?(/.*\.php)$ $1 break;
}

Is there a way to put the auth stuff into the same /blog location ?

I would very much want to have a few "true" Aliases in my config rather
than relying on symlinks, which is not really the clean/correct way to
do this IMHO.  Let's just say that for the sake of argument I need the
following aliases for the same vhost:  /blog /munin /nagios -- all of
which point to folders that are outside the document root of that
vhost.   I would also like to password protect each of these aliases.

Thanks