Load balancing with wildcard domains

Malte Sussdorff sussdorff at sussdorff.de
Sat Aug 11 23:26:28 MSD 2007

Hi,

I have a website that serves *.mysite.com which is translated by the
webserver into mysite.com/* .

It is working fine with nginx as a reverse proxy and hard load
balancing based on URL (e.g. all *.mysite.com/images goes to a second
server), but I need to do proper load balancing using upstream.

Sadly, once I do this, www.mysite.com works like a charm, but any
subdomain does not. Is there a way of doing this without having to
specify the subdomains separately (there are around 80.000 of them,
dynamically adding more each day).

Thanks for your help
   Malte

Here is what I tried:

     upstream test {
         server 192.192.23.92:80 weight=150;
         server 192.192.23.93:8000;
     }

     server {
         listen       192.192.23.200:80;

         # Set the max size for file uploads to 1000Mb
         client_max_body_size 1000M;

         # serve the rest of the static files from a different server
         location /resources/  {
              root   /web;
             access_log off;
         }

         location /robots.txt {
              root   /web;
         }

         location / {
             proxy_pass http://pitest;
#            include         /usr/local/nginx/conf/proxy.conf;
         }

         # Get images from dev server
        location /photos/images/ {
            proxy_pass http://192.192.23.93:8000;
             include         /usr/local/nginx/conf/proxy.conf;