Upstream failures against Mongrels instances

Alexander Staubo alex at purefiction.net
Mon Aug 13 22:55:09 MSD 2007

On 8/13/07, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius at gmail.com> wrote:
>         When you say you kill and respawn the mongrels, do you mean you kill
> -9 them and then restart?

No, I mean SIGTERM. This signals a graceful stop, equivalent to
calling the stop method on all Mongrel listeners.

So there's no reason why connections should be going down gracefully.
However, Nginx ought to behave correctly even when a process is
terminated with SIGKILL -- ie., it should follow whatever
proxy_next_upstream is set to.

Thanks for the Monit script; I don't know if we will ever use Monit
(we outsource our sysadmin/management, so it's mostly out of our
hands), but it might come in handy.

Alexander.