Non-buffered backend

Martin Schut m.schut at wommm.nl
Tue Dec 4 00:56:22 MSK 2007

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 09:27:11PM +0100, Martin Schut wrote:
>
>> First an easy question: what is does the postpone filter do? I can't
>> find
>> it in the docs.
>
> The postpone filter is internal filter. It is used to output responses of
> several/included subrequests that run in parallel.
Thanks.

>> On the next questions:
>
>> b. Is it possible to not transfer control to next module (with
>> ngx_http_next_*) but to request more chunks (maybe return with
>> NGX_AGAIN?)
>
> Yes, but this is not enough. Writing filters is complex thing.
I'm sure it is. It was just my first impression of quickly reading some
parts of the code.

>> c. What I actually would like to try (in a few weeks) is to skip the
>> buffering step between 1&2. I see 2 options for this: I. buffer a small
>> amount then call the modules and wait until I receive a request back for
>> more info. This has the disadvantage that the backend can not send it's
>> response at the highest rate possible if the modules are not fast
>> enough);
>
> It's already implemented.
Wonderful. I've got the impression it's not yet supported by reading
http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxHttpProxyModule, however reading the
tenth time you finally read it correctly: the request is buffered; which
is generally not a problem.

Thank you for th equick reply,

Regards,

Martin