Access key module

Adrian Perez adrianperez at udc.es
Mon Dec 31 20:52:29 MSK 2007

El Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:49:42 +0100
Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> escribió:

> Grzegorz Nosek ha scritto:
> > On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 03:47:13PM +0100, Manlio Perillo wrote:
> >> Grzegorz Nosek ha scritto:
> >
> >> [...]
> >
> > Well, the modules might be in separate trees but should present a
> > single interface for browsing, download, documentation and
> > reporting bugs. This will be rather simple when all developers
> > agree on a single RCS system, set up some bridge between them or
> > hell freezes over ;)
>
> It's hard :).
> I use Mercurial, you use Git, Adrian Perez (the author of fancy
> index) use Bazaar.

Personally it is not a big deal for me having to use any other RCS than
Bazaar -- at least while the chosen one is "reasonable" (I do not want
to go back to CVS, gosh!). I use Bazaar because when I started using
distributed SCMs it was less crude than others regarding usability. I
have only used Mercurial and Git occasionally but they feel comfortable
in their latest incarnations.

> We can also just add a bug traker, restricted wiki pages with
> download links and a mailing list.

I definitely agree that a Trac-like thing would be useful, especially
regarding bug tracking -- and you get a source browser and an integrated
wiki for free!

> Maybe it is possible to write a wrapper for the nginx configuration
> that will be able to download external required modules (I have
> written, as an example, a wrapper for the nginx binary so that one
> can use the command line instead of a configuration file), configure
> them with an unified interface, and then call the configure script.
>
> External modules that requires user configurable variables can use
> the OS environment, and the configuration wrapper will setup the
> environment for them.

This seems useful, and maybe would encourage packagers to add a set of
third-party modules to prepackaged versions of Nginx. Currently I am
maintaining a custom Gentoo ebuild which adds the fancyindex module as
an option. It would be very nice if people which builds directly from
source could mix-and-match modules.

Even having this tool, I believe the future if Nginx modules is loading
them dynamically via dlopen(), as other webservers do. Maybe Igor has
some roadmap regarding this point...

Best regards, and happy 2008,

--
Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.