Access key module

Adrian Perez adrianperez at
Mon Dec 31 20:52:29 MSK 2007

El Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:49:42 +0100
Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at> escribió:

> Grzegorz Nosek ha scritto:
> > On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 03:47:13PM +0100, Manlio Perillo wrote:
> >> Grzegorz Nosek ha scritto:
> >
> >> [...]
> >
> > Well, the modules might be in separate trees but should present a
> > single interface for browsing, download, documentation and
> > reporting bugs. This will be rather simple when all developers
> > agree on a single RCS system, set up some bridge between them or
> > hell freezes over ;)
> It's hard :).
> I use Mercurial, you use Git, Adrian Perez (the author of fancy
> index) use Bazaar.

Personally it is not a big deal for me having to use any other RCS than
Bazaar -- at least while the chosen one is "reasonable" (I do not want
to go back to CVS, gosh!). I use Bazaar because when I started using
distributed SCMs it was less crude than others regarding usability. I
have only used Mercurial and Git occasionally but they feel comfortable
in their latest incarnations.

> We can also just add a bug traker, restricted wiki pages with
> download links and a mailing list.

I definitely agree that a Trac-like thing would be useful, especially
regarding bug tracking -- and you get a source browser and an integrated
wiki for free!
> Maybe it is possible to write a wrapper for the nginx configuration
> that will be able to download external required modules (I have
> written, as an example, a wrapper for the nginx binary so that one
> can use the command line instead of a configuration file), configure
> them with an unified interface, and then call the configure script.
> External modules that requires user configurable variables can use
> the OS environment, and the configuration wrapper will setup the
> environment for them.

This seems useful, and maybe would encourage packagers to add a set of
third-party modules to prepackaged versions of Nginx. Currently I am
maintaining a custom Gentoo ebuild which adds the fancyindex module as
an option. It would be very nice if people which builds directly from
source could mix-and-match modules.

Even having this tool, I believe the future if Nginx modules is loading
them dynamically via dlopen(), as other webservers do. Maybe Igor has
some roadmap regarding this point...

Best regards, and happy 2008,

Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.