SSL Performance on real hardware versus virtual

Casey Rayman casey.rayman at d2sc.com
Thu Feb 22 02:55:46 MSK 2007

I built a test nginx server on debian linux within a virtual machine on my laptop and it was quite fast.  Based on the results of that simple test I built a stand alone server on an HP Proliant DL360.  Everything from a software standpoint should be the same, but the performance on the real hardware is TERRIBLE.  A simple index page on the server hardware takes almost a minute to load, while the same loaded from the laptop takes less than a second.

Does anyone have any ideas how a dual-Xeon server is slower than a VM on my laptop with 128mb?

Casey