Subversion behind Nginx

Igor Sysoev is at
Tue Jan 2 15:21:21 MSK 2007

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Cliff Wells wrote:

> According to the FAQ on Subversion, a proxy needs to provide these additional
> HTTP methods:
> Apache has a mod_svn that provides these additional methods which is why most
> people run Apache when they need to have SVN HTTP access.
> So I'm sure you see my question coming ;-)
> How difficult would it be for Nginx to support these additional methods as
> well?  There's at least two reference implementations (Apache and Squid).

nginx in proxy mode passes all methods as is. So mod_svn behind nginx should
work. And some users use nginx as frontedn before SVN HTTP server.

As I know there are problems with the "Destination" header line in the COPY
and MOVE methods. The header may have a different server name, port or
the "https" scheme.

The first problem resolved using Apache directives:

UseCanonicalName  on

The second problem resolved using nginx rewrite:

           set  $dest  $http_destination;
           if ($http_destination ~ "^https://(.+)") {
              set  $dest   http://$1;

           proxy_set_header  Destination   $dest;