HTTP load balancing algorithm

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Tue Jan 23 11:27:46 MSK 2007

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 00:12:19 +0300 (MSK)
Igor Sysoev <is at rambler-co.ru> wrote:

> I plan to add someting like this:
>
>      upstream name {
>          server   host:9000  max_conn=5  max_wait=100  wait_time=60s;
>      }
>
> > 	Also Igor,  what is the algorithm that nginx uses for proxy module?
> > Is it a round robin or something else?
>
> Yes, currently it's round-robin only.

I've already put a whishlist entry into wiki ...
I'm a big fan of mod_backhand (http://www.backhand.org/mod_backhand/), which is an inteligent load balancer/HA/proxy for apache 1.3.x. It's almost too simple to set up and is "setup and forget". Yes, it really works that well. If there's a chance of nginx getting such functionality, then the wolrd would be a better place :)

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org