rewriting a redirect

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Thu Mar 1 15:51:52 MSK 2007

Hello all,

I run nginx on port 80 in front of apache with mod_backhand on port 81 on the same machine, which does the load balancing across backend apache servers.

Our application makes a redirect on a few rarely visited places and there apache generates a redirect in the form of http://domain:81/place/to/go. Thats get fed to the client, which sees a "connection refused" because of the closed 81 port.

What is the right way to fix this?

Obviously I need to rewrite that :81 somewhere into :80 or throw it away alltogether. I just don't understand the http proxying fully enough to see the solution. I think I either need some RewriteEngine magic on apache side or some proper rewrite statement on nginx side.

Thanks for help,

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org